View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

Though we lose our youth, we gain so much in the process.

I have gratitude that she is still a workhorse, still relevant, still staying true to who she has always been. That means more than the loss of vocal range. Over all, she has fared very well with the voice she has.
this is why it would be so great if she would write a book! I think she has so much to teach a lot of these younger performers today about how to build a career and an image that will withstand the test of time.

I agree with you that over time her voice inevitably changed and can't be what it once was. She has said she loves the sound of her voice and loves that she sounds like no one else. I agree. It's the voice and it's the songs themselves. Her fierce commitment to being a songwriter is really to me what was the true foundation to her longevity, even more than her voice. Singers go in and out of fashion but the way she expresses herself in her songs and the deep meaning of those words to so many people is her real magic.

So I'll wait with you to see what she puts out on future albums and will be happy to judge new recordings on their own merits. while still enjoying the gloriousness of her voice on the demos. It's nice to have both!