Thread: Say You Will
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Honestly, I know it must have been difficult to work with just Stevie without having Christine around as a buffer; but, he could have honored Christine's legacy instead of taking pot shots are her songs, and life choices. She's pretty legendary and her contributions kept the band going in many instances. I was pretty shocked he was acting like that when she left. (I didn't know at the time he really wanted her to stay.)
I've long felt there was a lot of resentment by all of them (maybe not John, who knows, the man doesn't seem to care either way about anything) toward Christine leaving in 1998. 20+ years on, that all thawed away, but I think especially in the immediate post-Dance years, they were all pissed at her. Think of the money they did NOT make by milking The Dance tour out until 1999. Hell Freezes Over went on for over two years and I'm sure the powers that be and the band itself saw a similar market for their reunion. They could've toured all over the world...gone to Australia for the first time since Tusk, Japan, done a full tour of Europe, and then come back and did a second leg in the US before wrapping up.

So, I think that lost opportunity resentment lasted for awhile and in Lindsey's case, he can say what he wants now, but he was pretty crappy toward Christine during the lead up to SYW. The bridges, the masculine show, all that nonsense. To me, it was a way to sell the band without their biggest hitmaker and also express some of that resentment for leaving in '98.

In my own alternative reality - I see the band either touring as a five piece through 1999, or touring as Buckingham Nicks with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie in celebration of that albums 25th anniversary and rerelease on CD. They could've stretched that gravy train out for awhile and with Chris leaving, they dropped a golden opportunity to release that album to the masses and tour behind it. I imagine a Buckingham Nicks set along with a few select solo songs from each and a solid set of Fleetwood Mac hits would have been incredibly lucrative and popular in the early post-Dance years.

Say You Will was a long 6 years later and I just think things could have been a lot different and more interesting if they did something together within those 6 years or at the very least just let Christine play on the album and not tour.