View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Are there any interviews (either transcripts or audio) of Lindsey or other members talking about the "Mirage" album?
Some random quotes from LINDSEY:

Buckingham has been referring to Mirage as a "a reconciliation of opposites" from the time of the first sessions. "There are some aspects of Tusk and some aspects of Rumours," he explains, but Mirage is a much more of a band album than Tusk was.

“Mick would say to me, "Well we went too far, you blew it." And it was very hurtful. We were out on the road and I'm going, "Oh my god, how am I gonna react to this?" So, the Mirage album...there was a direct correlation between that pressure and that album."

“By the time we finished that tour [Tusk], there was a bit of a backlash within the band.... It took a bit of the wind out of my sails creatively. And so you get to the Mirage time and I'm sort of going, "Ah well, I don't know. What are we ...what do you want to do?"....I was almost withdrawing from the responsibility of writing at that time and it was all out of a sense of sort of having given up the ghost a little bit. [Oh Diane?] I hate that. I mean, it's such a cliché. That album has a lot of fairly generic music on it, for me. There's a couple of good things on there, but it's probably my least favorite."

“[M]irage was in my eyes a very reactionary album. The group's collective will dictated that we return to a slightly more conservative format. I don't think we can ever go back to the kind of spirit or eclectic mood that was created on the Tusk album. I don't think the other members of the group would want that and I don't think that's my place to impose it on them.""

“I think we've done a really good job with Tango. I would be more than happy to leave (the band) on this note. I couldn't say that about Mirage. That was a very ambiguous piece of work to me, and after we toured with that album, there were a lot of loose ends in the group emotionally, financially and otherwise.”

"'Tusk,' the album that followed 'Rumours,' was a brazen act of rebellion for which I took a lot of flak," he said. "Because of that, the 'Mirage' album, was, in my mind, a reactionary piece of work that tried to reprise 'Rumours' and had very little vision. When the group left the road after the 'Mirage' tour, there were many issues left unresolved.

“I think the real need to do a record 5 years after the last one came from…when we did the Mirage album and tour, a lot of things had been left hanging out on a limb – emotional things and even financial things."

“The most disappointing thing to me after Tusk was the politics in the band,” Buckingham admits today. “They said, ‘We’re not going to do that again.’ I felt dead in the water from that. On Mirage, I was treading water, saying, ‘Okay, whatever,’ and taking a passive role. For me, none of the albums after Tusk quite had it. I think we lost something after that.”

And one from CHRISTINE:

“Mirage was an attempt to get back into the flow that Rumours had. But we missed a vital ingredient. That was the passion,” she confesses bluntly.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"