Thread: Danny Kirwan
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I wonder, though, IS Danny REALLY "unable to find peace" or happiness? I question that.

There was a stretch of time in my life when I found myself "homeless" (and, yes, "a drunk", too)...I wouldn't want those days back again in the ever-so-slightest way, but I wouldn't say that I wasn't at peace or unhappy. Those tags were dumped on me by others. At the time, I felt "free" & unencumbered by life's troubles. To the rest of the world, (apparently) I WAS troubled, but in my own mind (however warped I may have been), I was just fine, thank you.
Yep. It is a choice, IMO, for many people.
I have a cousin, who is highly intelligent, but just has NO interest in doing anything worthwhile(and will readily admit this). He's drunk everyday, and sleeps in an old camper behind one of his friend's houses, and uses an outhouse. He's a good mechanic, and carpenter, but simply has no interest in working, or owning anything. He helps them just enough to get his case of beer everyday.
He's made the CHOICE all by himself that he wants to be a homeless drunk. I think that's the same choice Danny made.