View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco where this video was shot. It was my first ever FM concert (1987) and I was totally blown away! Rick Vito and Billy Burnette rocked that place. Mick completely blew my mind with "World Turning", as did the percussionist (Asante?) on that tour and the "Behind The Mask" tour a few years later. It was just incredible.

I bought the VHS (pre DVD years) and practically wore it out. "Isn't It Midnight", "I Loved Another Woman", "Oh Well", "The Chain" are all favourites from that time. What I liked about "The Chain" was how nobody (Rick or Billy) jumped in over John's bass solo. I've always thought Lindsey sort of cuts John off and this version sort of lets John stand out. It is (in my opinion), one of the greatest bass solos in rock history. "I Loved Another Woman" and "Oh Well" were definite "throwback" versions, paying homage to the band's blues roots, something basically completely lost in the B/N era. "Isn't It Midnight" just rocked back then. Superior to the album version in my opinion.

I agree with the production of the video with others comments. Mainly I liked the video from the standpoint of listening to the music on the video, even though there was a lot of post production editing and so on.

I would buy it again, mainly for sentimental value having been at one of the shows where it was shot, and for the ability to listen to the music in those versions again. I'd say worth the money.