View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey interview in Guitar World

Lindsey's on the cover of Guitar World Aug 2017 edition. There's a fair bit of technical guitar stuff in the article but some interesting bits about the band etc. We get the usual karmic, circular thing about Christine, and that blasted burning all her bridges nonsense.

I will try and post pics of it tonight or tomorrow when I'm home but some quotes I found interesting:

He talks about working on Chris's songs:

"I did the same kind of thing with Stevie's songs as well. But the thing about Stevie is she's not a musician per se. She's a singer and someone who will write lyrics on a page. And she doesn't have much to do with it beyond that, in terms of the process of evolving it into a record. Christine, on the other hand, is so grounded in her musicianship, and the sensibilities that go along with that, that she and I were really able to share the whole evolution af any particular song. She appreciated and wanted to be a part of that process, and would often have things to add. So I think that's a lot of what we have in common. It definitely helps to establish and maintain a camaraderie. It was always there, but it was never tapped into in this context."

About this possibly being a FM album:

" We probably had a few conversations about getting Stevie involved. But I think that kept getting countermanded by the feeling that this really wanted to be a duet album. I don't think anyone seriously considered calling it a Fleetwood Mac album with only four out of the five band members on it. That just didn't seem right."

Asked if he and Christine share the same musical interests:

"I don't know if there really is any, in terms of what's out there on the radio. All the songs I would listen to and talk about, I don't think she'd have heard. She wouldn't know who Vampire Weekend was. Anything at all that's sort of young and current. Not to say she wouldn't enjoy it. But she hasn't pursued that."

About Feel About You:

"She'd written a second song on the album, Feel About You, as very much a standard Fleetwood Mac-y kind of ting. And I was trying to retool it and make it feel a little more modern in a way she couldn't wrap her head around at first. But then people would come in and really love it, and she started to understand".

Where does this record fall in the big machine--small machine continuum?

"That's a very good question. Where does it fall? It's certainly not as experimental as what I would be doing on my own. Because John and Mick are also on it, it has a Fleetwood Mac kind of feel. So I guess pitfalls more toward the big machine in that sense. But I think songs like Sleeping Around the Corner and Love Is Here to Stay are probably a bit more off to the side. They probably make it a little 'smaller'. I think there's really something to be said for there being two authors as well. It changed the whole equation of what it adds up to. I'm not sure I can be too objective about what it is. But it allows a little more of each of our ranges to come into play in a way I think is really healthy. So maybe it's the medium machine."

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 06-23-2017 at 08:47 PM..