View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
It was in a hotel bar in Chicago way back over 10 years ago when he was first touring - heady days, back when he found the fact that he had hardcore fans willing to follow him around amazing and it was easy to talk to him. Later he took it for granted that he had lots of hardcore fans and the days of easy access were gone.

He was playing two nights in Chicago and he'd already played a show earlier that evening. He had been varying encores at his previous shows, much to everyone's delight. He asked us if we had a song we'd like to hear him do for the encore the next night in Chicago (there was a group of us). People started suggesting several songs. He turned to me. I said "Soul Drifter" and his expression dropped from a smile to a stone-faced stare. Shoot - I've pissed him off, I thought, and I quickly said, "Or 'Down on Rodeo'." The smile immediately returned and he said, "Yes, I might do that one."

It wasn't just because he wanted us to suggest songs off his latest album - other people suggested old stuff like "Johnny Stew" and he didn't have that reaction.

Who knows.
And Soul Drifter is on the Anthology so maybe just where he was in his head with that song at the time? Although---so is Stephanie?