View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wanted to let the album sink in a little bit before I have my actual review. Overall, I do like the album, but I was much more hooked on Gift of Screws when it came out. I was in love with some of those tracks. I can't say the same for SWS. However, there are some tracks that I do love on this album.

Seeds we Sow - This one is growing on me. I love the "aaahhhh Seeds we Sow" part. I have yet to hear the electric version besides the Amazon preview. Not too excited for this one in concert. Its no 'Shut us Down' or anything (which should close his set, not open it).

In Our Own Time - Quirky is the only word that seems to fit this song. This is definitely a song that is suited much better for the stage. Why does his guitar playing at the end sound so strange? It doesn't sound like he is playing, sounds like a computer is playing those closing strings. Anyway, this to me is like a much tamer 'Red Rover.' It will be fun to hear this live, but there are other tracks on the album I would rather hear live before this one.

Illumination - Now this song is pretty cool. Someone on here described this song as sort of a psychedellic 60's song when we first heard the clip back in April, I totally agree. This would have been a perfect FM song. I am very excited to see/hear this one live.

That's the Way Love Goes - After listening to the live version for 5 months, I was expecting something much more grand. I probably played the live version 100+ times since April. Again, his studio version is 'quirky.' The guitar solos are pretty great as well. I hope he keeps this one in the set, it really works live.

Stars Are Crazy - Not too 'crazy' about this one. Hope he drops it for the tour.

When She Comes Down - I am liking this one with each listen. Probably won't listen to it much after the album hype calms down.

Rock Away Blind - This is my FAVORITE track on the album. For me, it out does Big Love, Try for the Sun, and Bel Air Rain. This track is the ultimate and epic finger-picking goodness I was waiting for. What a BEAUTIFUL song. Strangely, this song makes me think of death. The whole bit about being on time for someone's love, their 'open shrine', spending hours of time with them, and rocking away blindly after the fact. This is, of course, my own interpretation. I will be requesting this one live!!

One Take - Ehhhh. Its like a Say You Will/OOTC hybrid song. Reminds me of 'Wrong' but sounds like something that would have gone on SYW. Can't get into this one.

Gone Too Far - You Either Do or You Don't...but this version is worse.

End of Time - Better live. Haven't heard the acoustic version yet.

She Smiled Sweetly - My 18 year old self loves that this is on the album. I remember listening to this song when I started college. I was a little bit homesick and just downloaded the GOS demos. I listened to this song all the time. I am truly happy that this cover made it on to one of his albums. I will say, though, I do miss the higher harmony part on the chorus and the violin/synth parts.

Overall, this is a good album. I would have been VERY pleased if this one came after Under the Skin. Anything would have delighted me after the sadness that UTS brought me. Anyway, here's my rank:

Out of the Cradle
Gift of Screws
Seeds We Sow
Go Insane
Under the Skin
Law and Order