View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
However, why is it so artistically wrong for singers (or I should say GOOD singers) not to write their own songs? Is it not artistic simply to have a good voice and show it off?
I don't see anything wrong with having only artistic ability to sing and having others write songs for you, AS LONG AS 1. you can sing, and 2. there are no gimics or publicity things that make it too commercial.
I agree, Justin.
I think it's easy to look down our noses at someone who doesn't write their own material... I've even been guilty of that at times, myself... but if there's genuine talent there, then it shouldn't matter if the performer doesn't write their own material.

I know a lot of people hate Celine Dion, but at least the woman can SING. And I'm sure no one can deny the amazing talent that Tina Turner possesses. Or Frank Sinatra, as you've mentioned.

That they've never, or only rarely, written their own material, shouldn't be a reason to consider them as a lesser talent than someone who writes and sings.

There actually was a time when it was rare for an artist to write their own material... hence the term "singer/songwriter" being coined.