View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
It's just that it has to be someone who doesn't "step on his toes". Nigel Watson may have been supportive as a person, but as the years went he kind of almost totally took over on guitar. If you listen to early Splinter gigs Peter is actually playing more solos, "Supernatural" etc; than he did later on. So how is that being supportive?
Actually, I never said "supportive," and for good reason. I think Nigel Watson and Mich Reynolds were exploiting Peter. The more unhappy Peter became with the direction of the Splinter Group, the more Nigel took over. I totally agree that it basically became the Nigel Watson Show Featuring Peter Green, which is why I'm glad Peter's out of that band.

However, I don't see that being the case with Rick Vito. One, Rick is just not that kind of guy. Would a money hungry guitarist just walk out of a band as popular as Fleetwood Mac? The other thing is Rick is a studio musician (partially why he didn't do so well in Fleetwood Mac), and is much more a supporting player. Where as Nigel saw Peter as a meal ticket, Rick would see working with Peter as an opportunity to support one of his favorite guitarists.

As for the Mick vs. Nigel, yes, Mick has been hinting at a possible reunion of the original Mac for years. And, yes, the guy loves his money. However, he maintained a relationship with Peter for all the years after Peter quit the Mac. Never once did Mick pressure Peter into rejoining the Mac when he easily could have. I honestly don't think Mick would try to force Peter into anything if he didn't honestly feel Peter was ready. I think he's learned his lesson from what happened in 1979.

THE Stephen Hopkins