View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
If Lindsey hadn't been fired, he would be the one playing Dreams and Rhiannon and Don't Stop night after night.
Totally true. This isn't a Lindsey issue—other than his bona fide attempt to get the band to record something new.

Quote:
If Lindsey was still in FM, the band would still be resting on its achievements and style of the seventies, right? Or does that not apply to the band if Lindsey is with them?
Of course it applies. The band has been retreading its past in concert for a couple of decades, and all sorts of people have been in and out of the band, including Lindsey, Stevie, Christine, Rick, Billy, Dave, Bekka, Mike, and Neil. They've ALL done exactly the same thing. I sometimes think they do what they do because they play big venues and court huge numbers of customers that extend well beyond the fans who are intimately acquainted with their work. But I saw them in 1994 at a little dinner club in Central California—couldn't have been more than 80 people in the crowd—and damned if they still didn't build their entire set on their seventies concert set.

Quote:
If Lindsey was in FM, it would still be a cash grab tour.
No one, I hope, is saying otherwise. If they are, they're wrong. That's how I interpret Lindsey's "big machine" metaphor.

Quote:
Look, he wanted to record new material, but he was more than happy to go on the road with FM and sing the same hits they've been doing for 40+years.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Since 2003, there have been three Fleetwood Mac tours with Lindsey. I've skipped them all because I no longer want to hear this aging and musically deteriorating group of people play Gold Dust Woman and Go Your Own Way. Am I explaining myself adequately here?

Quote:
I love this tour, and if Lindsey had still been with them, I would have hoped they still played most of the songs they did. No Don't Dream It's Over or Free Falling maybe, even though I loved those songs as performed by them, but more of Lindsey's songs would have been great. All Over Again, Tell Me All the Things, Isn't It Midnight, Black Magic Woman, all fantastic.
When tickets go on sale, some of us buy and some of us pass. I'm explaining why I pass. The fact that the 2018 band has thrown in some old work that hasn't been heard in awhile doesn't disprove the fact that the band's set is built around its seventies heyday. It's not my thing anymore. Quite frankly, I can't understand why others who have been to as many Fleetwood Mac concerts as I have would still be interested in them as a concert attraction. Is it a habit, like an addiction? A tic? An autonomic response? What keeps people going back year after year to hear Go Your Own Way sung the same way every year (barring the deterioration that age and boredom generate)—especially in this age of immediately available YouTube videos? Seeing Fleetwood Mac every year is worse than watching the same movie every year because Fleetwood Mac costs hundreds of dollars. I'm fascinated by what keeps people going to see them—the same people who have seen them thirty times since 1977. I guess they're enjoying themselves and enjoying an ever more boring string of Rhiannons, but it puzzles me. Maybe they turn to other bands for fresh, new work, and Fleetwood Mac is just an arthritic walk through an old petrifacted scrapbook for them.

I'd love to see a Fleetwood Mac committed enough to reconceptualize itself the way that it did in 1979—two short years after its mass-market triumph.

moviekinks.blogspot.com