View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
They had Doug Graves during the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert taping; Bobby Hunt at the December show. Bob handled all the guitar duties himself. (for "gear junkies", Bob had four or five large Morley pedals at the base of his mic stand...a wah-wah, volume, rotating speaker simulator, an echo pedal, as well as a plethora of other fx pedals...and an old Echoplex, later replaced by a Roland Space Echo)

Oh, yeah...especially during the December show (where they had a longer time slot), Bob was very "chatty", both between songs and in the middle of them (much like on the bootleg versions of "Future Games" & "Bermuda Triangle"...story after story). And, just as he did on those 1975-82 versions of "World Turning", Mick came out from behind the kit and did his African Talking Drum solo during "Nightwatch".

For the Kirshner show, which was filmed in the old Long Beach Center Theatre (adjacent to the Sports Arena) and was torn down shortly after the season of Don Kirshner shows was wrapped and a whole new "Performing Arts Center" was built in its place. I was way in the back of the theatre (but the theatre was VERY small, barely held 1,000 people, so it wasn't so bad) slightly off to the right (Bob & Doug's side of the stage)...for the December show at the LB Arena, the stage was moved forward, so that it only was about 1/2-2/3 of the arena seating instead of the full arena. I was in the risers off to the left (stage right...Christine's side) up from the floor about 4-5 rows (about even with the stage height)...about even with the soundboard on the floor. Was off center about 45 degrees. Had I been to my left one section closer to the stage, the left side PA speakers would've obstructed my view of Christine. So I was very fortunate to be where I was. I thought they were GREAT seats, and that it was a fantastic show. It wasn't more than two weeks later, I'd read a small blurb in Rolling Stone magazine about Welch leaving and "the Buckingham Nicks duo" joining Fleetwood Mac. It was really weird because I already HAD the Buckingham Nicks album (which I'd discovered while working for a local record store chain over the previous holiday season...obviously, at first, I was only attracted by the cover photo, but I enjoyed the music as well) but I just couldn't conceive of how they'd fit into Fleetwood Mac's sound.
That experience is nothing but cool.