View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Seeds We Sow - Already have/listened to this, and I love it. The melody and vocals, despite him probably not setting out for them to be so, I find quite haunting. And his fingering is excellent. I love it when a guitar is played in such a bare fashion that I can practically see and feel each movement and flick of his fingers over the string.

In Our Own Time - Oooo...Well the very light drum work in the background is quite dishy, isn't it! With this sort of song, sometimes I feel as though the vocals just don't quite match with the music. But the timing on this is splendid. And I do like the chorus because it almost feels more like a bridge, to me. It's hinted at without getting too bold, fitting well with the line "the implication of a crime". Because, as much as I love Lindsey, sometimes his chorus' are a crime lol. The final little guitar riff is certainly crazy, which I do love of Lindsey.

Illumination - Uhm. Well the start up isn't THAT promising. Kind of reminiscent of 80's Glam Rock. But the song gets better as it goes along, and I do like the fact that during the verses the guitar is barely audible, allowing the Drums a little limelight. Which does fit very well as I couldn't see a guitar working too well with the verse vocals unless he was going for almost a Kurt Cobain feel. Although the chorus isn't the BEST of the album, I'm still singing it to myself. So it's definitely catchy.

That's The Way That Love Goes - Aww. The opening guitar is very sweet, almost lullaby-ish. And that's how the song goes until the bridge and chorus, where it kicks up to a crazy level. I LOVE IT! It is reminiscent of the ambiguity and constantly shifting moods of love. He captures his contest in his music very well. The addition of bass in the background is a very welcome addition to detract from the slightly sickly feel of the guitar during the higher parts. TtWLG doesn't seem to be too popular amongst his fans, but you can certainly count me as a lover.

Stars Are Crazy - Can't say I'm a huge fan of the title. But let's get past my aversion to crassness lol. There's something slightly flamenco about his guitar playing on this track, which is kind of getting stuck in my teeth a little. This is an example of a problem Lindsey commonly has with his work. That his music overshadows his vocals. Maybe if the volume button could have been turned down a notch or two on the music before he sang, it would have been much more fitting. Having said that, all in all, the song is nice. Just not one of my absolute favourites. I get the feeling that if I sat down and read the lyrics properly, I may just appreciate them more than the song itself.

When She Comes Down - Starts a little like a song I would hear on the radio and then quickly change the station. I'm not a HUGE fan of the background music, but I am enjoying the lyrics and vocals. I hope he performs this live with just the guitar. Add that and the almost choir like addition for the chorus and it should be smashing. Just missing a little something, to me. But I still like it. Hang on.......actually.....As the song progresses....The music is growing on me. I'm singing along so that must count for something, haha! Would still love to hear an acoustic version, but not so bad.

Rock Away Blind - Muuuuch better intro. I can see his fingers moving again And I am very much enjoying his patented "vocal echo" over the top, as well as a slight hint of beat that I am tempted to accuse of being foot stamping. When he keeps music more simple without throwing too many concepts at it, he's at his best. Though adding a little more for the chorus does help to take the song over the edge into "Wowville".

One Take - Ooo...Starts very early rock and roller... I am finding it very difficult to write anything whilst moshing and headbvanging during this song. I love the speedy vocals during the verses...and then the chorus!!! Oh my.... My brain hurts from head banging so hard. I cannot top the description Michelej1 gave this song. So on the button! This is my favourite song of the album. I'm laughing like goofy, I'm enjoying it so much. Hang on.....Air Guitar time. Be right back.

Gone Too Far - Despite the beat, this song is incredibly soft. Again it suits his vocals very well. And again the addition of extra vocals in parts of the song work well to add a more vulnerable and open err to the song. He does sound very much like he's opening up his soul for us to have a peek around. Might need more than one track for that job though, lol.

End Of Time - I don't know why but I immediately picture a large, lush and green garden when I picture this song. Don't ask me. The verse vocals are nice, but I think they're topped by the higher chorus. Another song where I feel as though he's laying himself open completely. They do say that exposing weakness is the strongest thing you can do, and judging by the quality of this album they aren't wrong.

She Smiled Sweetly -Although I am a great fan of the demo, I've realised that I much prefer it in its most cultivated fashion. The demo sounded raw and primitive, which I loved for its own merit. But this version has the feeling of somebody singing their lover to sleep. It's so beyond sweet. I wonder if he ever played Kristen or one of the children to sleep with this.

I feel guilty about the fact that all I could think of while listening was "This albums kicks Stevie's arse". But it does. In Your Dreams pales compares to it. I'm sorry Stevie. I love you. But he's just.....better than you at music. This is definitely one of his best albums. Encroaching on a par with OoTC, but not quite. OoTC will always be the reigning King, I'm sure.

I'm going back for another listen