View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Letter from the Editor

This note from the editor was included with this magazine as well:

Big Love

Here is an embarrassing admission: Back in 1977, when rumors of Rumours' greatness were certainly not greatly exaggerated, I wanted to be Lindsey Buckingham. (I should add that earlier in my life I wanted to be, at different times, Sandy Koufax and John Steed, the bowler-hatted male protagonist of the Avengers.) Lindsey had that wild, cool hair; he had that wild, cool singer girlfriend. Mostly, he was an incredibly original and inventive guitarist who played both electric and acoustic with his fingers. As a nascent fingerpicker, as well as someone who was bowled over by Lindsey's songwriting, production skills and, yes, cool appearance, I was one big fan. So much so that I wished I could say goodbye to my own existence as a country blues wannabe, staggering through the twilight period between post-pimple adolescence and jaded adulthood, and become Lindsey.

Well, this did not happen, and I'm still sad about it. I am, however, happy to report that Lindsey Buckingham is back on our cover, and overjoyed that he has returned to Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey remains the articulate, thoughtful guitar-loving person he's always been, and it is clear that he and Guitar World Acoustic Senior Editor James Rotondi got on just famously. To sweeten the Buckingham pot, we've included a transcription of Fleetwood Mac's "Gold Dust Woman" in the issue.

Note: I didn't do the interview personally because I was afraid of discovering that, back in 1977, Lindsey wished he were me.

Harold Steinblatt, Editor