View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I'm hugely excited to see Fleetwood Mac with Mike Campbell.
I was crushed when I heard the news -- I don't know anyone else on this planet who's a bigger Buckingham fan than I am; but I'm also a huge music fan in general -- and that's why I've always been drawn to the band. I go for the music.

It'll be fun. One of the best things about growing older is you stop micro-managing life. And you stop taking everything so seriously. And you stop making everything about yourself.
The majority of Fleetwood Mac fans are on board with this move. A little shell-shocked, but definitely curious. We have to remember how small a fraction of fans are represented on social media.
And then there are the Tom Petty fans, who seem to be over the moon about this new line up.

The Burnette/Vito years were very bland. Neither of them are great singers, and their playing is pretty paint-by-numbers. Mike Campbell has an amazing sound with muscle to spare. He'll blow the roof of arenas on this tour, and I can't wait.
Interesting post. Like you said, for me, it's about the music, so this latest lineup change doesn't faze me too much, beyond my initial disappointment. When Christine, Stevie, and Rick left and Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason replaced them, I wasn't very excited, but I gave them a chance and bought Time and really didn't care for it at all. And I didn't see them in concert. But the current lineup, now that is a band I'm excited about!

Re The BTM era, while I agree neither Rick or Billy were extraordinary vocalists, I definitely thought Rick was an incredible guitarist- both on the albums and live. His guitar work on the live versions of Isn't It Midnight and Oh Well, and on the recorded version of Save Me, were blistering and blew my mind. And whoever played that guitar on No Questions Asked (I'm assuming it was Rick but it could have been Billy) did an awesome job. I mean, whether you like that song or not, the guitar work is the best thing about it!