View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whilst I quite like this track and I'm impressed by the vocal range on display, we should not assume that this is indicative of Stevie's current capabilities. I have every confidence in Stevie and believe she is still capable of a certain range (certainly more than she cares to offer these days), but we shouldn't forget that she is nearly 61 years old.
I don't know the exact timeframe of this recording but I guess it's safe to assume it was done around the same time of "Love Changes". Considering that sessions for the Trouble In Shangri-La album occurred between December 1998 and September 2000, we're most probably looking at this recording being around 10 years old. Does anyone know anything more specific? Perhaps Mr Khane could clue us in with the precise details?
That said, I think it's fantastic that she attempted something so far removed from her comfort zone, especially since it was done as a favour, and actually pulled it off. The song itself is nothing special and this cabaret, show-tune genre is not one of my favourites, but her performance definitely draws you in. What's lovely is that she doesn't seem to be straining and although the melody is a little complicated, she makes it sound almost effortless, with a certain fragility intact. That is no mean feat. I admire Khane's work but this particular production is a little on the schlocky side in my opinion. However, that just reinforces the quality of Stevie's delivery, rescuing it from total schmaltz.