Thread: Has PG retired?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yeah but are we talking about a concious decision to play differently, or a style change that was just part of Peter's saga? He did say that he had to re-learn to play. I agree wholeheartedly that the man still has taste and style - but how many of us would give anything to see him come out and rip through a version of "Oh Well" circa 1969?

Clapton still does what he does best, and that works fine for me.
Personally I'd never compare EC and Peter. Both are "guitar heros" yeah, but they are totally different kinds of performers... Clapton, great though, gives the audience what they want.

I'd rather compare Greeny to Dylan! Dylan is no guitar icon, but they've both developed. Are we talking about a concious decision to sing and play differently, when it comes to Dylan?? To me that question doesn't really matter...

But I don't think the reason is that Peter is not able to play like he did before... I think his Splinter Group version of "Going Down" is pretty much as fiery as what he did in the 60s... What I find is that he generally has a more "mellow" approach to the music nowadays. His guitar sound tends to be more sweet and not so harsh anymore (with a few exceptions).

When it comes to "Oh Well"... Yeah, and I'd love even more to see him finally get to perform "Oh Well" PART 2 live!!! That would have been something!