View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Really? So when the band dropped CHAIN from E minor to D minor way back when, John continued playing the part in the same position on the fret, & only the tuning on his instrument was altered? I had no idea.
Yes. Actually, half of the bass solo consisted of open string notes (A and E). So since the bass doesn't go any lower than E, when they took the key down, they had to take all of the strings down a whole step in order to get to D-minor.

Quote:
I have no idea what key DON'T STOP was in at the beginning of this last tour. It's usually in E major. What key was it in for the tour? Pity the poor fool on acoustic piano or B3 because he or she would have to relearn a part in a different position on the keyboard, which is more prone to error than simply learning a part from scratch. I speak from experience.
I don't know what key it was in, but if you look up videos from opening night in Pittsburgh, it was definitely in a lower key. In any case, I don't think there is an acoustic piano on the stage, so surely it was merely an electronic transposition for Brett.