View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I am just stating that I think LB had no interest whatsoever with working with FM after Mirage.
But that's not what's at issue. Stevie said Lindsey left the group in 1983. She was wrong about that. No big deal, really -- as Michele & Vivfox said, she sometimes gets her dates & circumstances & other details wrong. She spent an entire tour (a few years back) telling her fans she wrote RHIANNON in 1973, but she spent five years telling radio listeners in interviews that she wrote it in October 1974. You get older & you forget when you did this & that. No big deal. But when she's wrong, she's wrong. Don't dress up her mistaken data with interpretive play & recontextualization. (We used to do this in grad school: historicize & then rehistoricize in the Louis Montrose fashion.)

Quote:
So, as I said, I think La Nicks was somewhat correct even though LB did not officially leave until after TITN was finished. I think the interviews at the time he left show that. He talks about reuniting with FM and morphing his solo stuff into TITN and then once he was back, the craziness was too much for him to do the tour. To me, that sounds like he came back to the band even though there had been no official parting of ways.
But that was ALL OF THEM, strand. It wasn't as if the other four were waiting around for him, & in he walks. In fact, what happened is that Christine was the one who got the ball rolling by calling Dashut to produce her song for A FINE MESS, & Dashut in turn suggested bringing in Lindsey while Chris called Mick & John to play too. Those four members of the band were working on the Elvis Presley song in August 1985, & the following month (September 17, to be exact) they all met up backstage at the benefit Stevie was playing with Don Henley & Tom Petty at Universal Amphitheatre to plan a new Fleetwood Mac album.

Quote:
Maybe burned out is a better phrase than left the band, which is why I said "La Nicks is mostly correct here."
If Lindsey had said the same thing about Stevie in this period, he'd have been as "correct" as she was -- in other words, incorrect. Nobody in Fleetwood Mac in the 1980s left the band until August 1987. They were all emotionally distant from Fleetwood Mac in those days (that's not what our debate is about): Stevie was doing THE WILD HEART & touring, Lindsey was doing GO INSANE & producing elsewhere, John was at sea much of the time, Chris was doing CHRISTINE MCVIE & touring. Stevie forgot some of those trivial details.

moviekinks.blogspot.com