View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
But, she has it written down

Why are people so loathe to believe her, but they (not you per se) take his word as law?
Um, I doubt Stevie was referring to anything she had "written down" when she gave that interview. People aren't "loathe" to believe her, but it's hard to believe her when she contradicts herself every ten minutes and when what she says flies in the face of clear facts.

This is what Stevie said to the Los Angeles Times on June 14, 1987:

Quote:
Stevie Nicks, a Phoenix native who was raised in Southern California, tends to be the most passionate during interviews. Though heavily involved in her own solo career (which severely limited her ability to participate in the album), she feels a deep commitment to Fleetwood Mac and is quick to scold outsiders who suggest that the group had fallen apart in recent years.

"I think our real fans pretty much understand what is going on," she said. "It's the industry that gets confused. . . . All that talk about 'Fleetwood Mac is going to break up or has broken up.' I think they said a lot of crappy things that certainly could have helped it to break up . . . a lot of bad vibes. Sometimes I wish the industry would just go away and leave us alone. We haven't broken up yet. Our worst album ('Mirage') wasn't exactly a complete bomb. It still sold millions of records."
So, she has an interview where she gets feisty at the thought that the band had broken up. So, I know that she knew then (if she doesn't know now) that Lindsey hadn't left the band in 1982. What he did in 1982 was cut short the Mirage tour. He didn't leave the band.

As for taking Lindsey's word as law, I just don't see everything as polarized or adversarial as that. I don't think he's a saint and she's a sinner, in any category, but I won't think the reverse either.

I've heard Lindsey say that he only wrote one song for a movie and I know that's not true. He's prone to dementia at time. However, in this interview, your interpretation of Lindsey's "word" is so different from what I think he said, that I wouldn't even know how to take that as law. He talked about the band, being full of unique individuals in their own right, who come together. He didn't say that he had any kind of sovereign power and wasn't even talking about himself. It was a communal commendation he offered.

What I liked about this interview is you don't have to take one person's word over another. No reason to choose your side of the battleground. I mean, they were getting along when the interview was conducted and to me it seemed like a rather funny, domestic little exchange. I liked it's spousal quality, because there was even a loving familiarity to the bickering. And because they were comrades at the time, there was no one upmanship. They were both offering a fair and balanced assessment of the way they mutually push the other's buttons.

So, I really didn't see an opportunity for side-taking at all, until you did.

Michele