View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Collaborations with the Heartbreakers helped Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, and the Eagles.
Campbell's and Tench's collaborations with Henley and, by extension, the Eagles have been brilliant but I think we see the truth of mitzo's statement - at least in regard to Campbell - in this thread when it comes to Stevie. Just because he clicks with one artist does not mean he clicks with another.

If we extend that to Petty, though, I am less inclined to agree. I enjoy "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," "Insider," "Needles and Pins," and "The Apartment Song." They sounded good together. ("I Will Run to You" - eh.)

And "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" did kick off her career.

But then I swing back to mitzo's opinion when Stevie goes beyond singing with Petty to being so obsessed that she wants to do several of his songs. I do not enjoy all the Petty covers. "Free Fallin'", "I Need to Know," and the ones she throws in live like "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star"* and "You Wreck Me"... it's too much. You can't BE Tom Petty, Stevie.

*I realize "So You Want to Be a Rock'n'Roll Star" was not original to Petty but Stevie covered it due to the fact that his live version was so popular, included on his Pack Up the Plantation album.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-24-2018 at 01:07 PM..