View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What's Buzzing In My Ears - Fleetwood Mac
Posted about 14 hours ago
Artist: PLAY Fleetwood MacAlbum:PLAY Mystery to MeTrack: PLAY Hypnotized

I know a crappy video(Hypnotized). This is one of my favorite FM songs, I guess coz it has some meaning to it for me. I heard & bought this record in 1973 while my ship was staying in Majorca, Spain for 2 weeks. My memeory is really fuzzy, but there is a nightclub/disco there, that is built in some caves overlooking the Med.
I spent a lot of my time there, talking to the DJ, dancing, drinking, even saw a bull fight, etc., anyway I first heard this song in Spain. On my ship, we had a little radio station (the size of a closet) that just broadcast on the ship only. I use to do the midnight to whenever I got tired shift coz no one else wanted it. So basically I was just spinning tunes to a couple of insomniacs drinking coffee & reading paperbacks in the mess room, but, hey I was happy. Even though the Navy provided records, I brought & bought a lot of my own albums to play. I think that is one way I kept my sanity for those 4 years. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the song as much as I do.

Release notes from Best Buy: Fleetwood Mac: Bob Welch (guitar, vocals); Bob Weston (guitar, slide guitar); Christine McVie (keyboards, vocals); John McVie (bass); Mick Fleetwood (drums).Additional personnel: Martin Birch (acoustic guitar).
Released in 1973 and now regarded as an important transitional album in Fleetwood Mac's long march towards superstardom, MYSTERY TO ME featured the lineup of Mick Fleetwood, John and Christine McVie, singer/guitarist Bob Welch and guitarist Bob Weston. The hiring of Welch had angered original guitarist Danny Kirwan and after a 1972 gig, the volatile Kirwan went berserk backstage and was fired.
On MYSTERY TO ME, the follow-up to PENGUIN (1973) and the band's strongest album in years, the luminous elements of the future Fleetwood Mac were falling in place; Bob Welch's rambling, mystical reverie "Hypnotized" became (and remains to this day) a rock radio standard.The Welch-Weston-John McVie-penned "Forever" grooves with an atypical African gloss, and the bluesy growl of Welch's "The City" lashes out at New York, contradicting Lindsey Buckingham's giddy city ode "Empire State" on 1982's MIRAGE.
Yet it is Christine McVie's thoughtful, majestic "Why," which unfolds from a backcountry fingerpick to a soaring poem of regret and passage, that marks the transition from early Mac (which officially ended with 1974's HEROES ARE HARD TO FIND) to one of the most influential Anglo-American bands of all time.

http://mog.com/DashboardDJ856/blog/1849446