View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like the premise of this article to be honest. We always hear the epithet that Lindsey is the "most underrated guitarist" from the 70s but he's so much more than that.

Here's a few songs that to me, when played as a group, truly showcase Lindsey not only as a guitar player but as a craftsman of stories and music. He has incredible sense of atmosphere and somehow always seems to know exactly what intricacies to add to each song and where to let there be space. Not only that but he really is a great vocalist, which I think shouldn't go unnoticed, but sometimes gets over shadowed by way of Stevie.

In no particular order,

1. Bel Air Rain
2. I'm So Afraid
3. Oh Diane
4. In Our Own Time
5. Save Me a Place
6. Say We'll Meet Again (including This Nearly Was Mine)
7. Not That Funny (specifically the arrangement while touring 'Mirage')
8. Big Love (I felt the need to include this because Lindsey points to this song as the turning point in his artistic style)
9. This Is The Time
10. Tusk

To me, that's a list that gets you a sense of just the kind of artist he is. His metaphorical and autobiographical style of lyrics, overlaying of ethereal guitar techniques, an intuitive sense of pop melody a la Pet Sounds with just the right amount of darkness, sarcasm, and grit. I always say that Lindsey makes a guitar 'sing,' that it's an extension of his voice and tells a story all on its own. Lindsey has created a sound unto himself and it can never be duplicated or copied.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09