View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile RODEO

Well, I only had the chance to listen to it (in full) twice so far but roughly, (going by what I've heard from his last "proper" album 1992's "Us" (which wasn't too much) and I don't profess to knowing too much about Gabriel's solo works in general but...) I like it a lot. It's not quite as straightforward sounding as say the "So" album was in comparison but it's probably on the whole quieter that "Us" was (though the opening cut "Darkness" goes from quiet rhythms to thumping white electronic sounding noise & boxy vocals stylings) and "Growing up" & "The Barry Williams show" are probably the closest to straighhtforward "singles" for the record (Greg Brady take note) There's also the piano and voice only "Here comes the flood"-style of the closing track "The drop" which you might like too but that's all I can remember off hand right now, If I have any more thoughts on the tunes from "Up", I'll let you know. I hope that was of some help though anyways.

I'm sorry that we have a difference of opinion on collecting etc. I'm glad you enjoy the packaging and all of the other artistic attrributes that go along with the music. However, and, without breaking out the violins, I really only have so much money to use on my collection (just as everyone else here does too I'm sure) so with that being the case, although I do value their other artistic visions (as you were saying) I had to think of what is it first and foremost that makes me a FM fan and it is the music, so I chose to concentrate on the music and those that know me well know how being a "completest" makes me happy and how I am happy when I can stay on top of things etc. and I guess I look at it as I would rather be on top of one aspect of my collection at all times (as much as I can be anyways) rather than be involved in various different areas of collecting and as a result, not be on top of any of them in the process. I personally get the most pleasure out of hearing all of the new FM and related music available. Given the choice, I would rather have a CD of newly released FM music that has bad packaging than a GH compilation of stuff I already have with nice packaging. I realize it's not as simple as that as naturally I would prefer a FM release with new music to have nice packaging as well but given the limitations of funds available to me/us etc. etc. etc. etc. Well, we all have our own choices to make and I've made mine and I'm glad you are happy with yours. JMHO.

Now, Mario (or anybody else):

I did originally think what Rodeo was just saying (that the "Sky blue" guitar track of Greeny's could be the same on both "Us" & LWH(RPF)) but I just rememberd that Mario had posted here about the news that Peter had gone in to the studio "in the summer" to record this part and I noticed that the LWH(RPF) soundtrack was originally released in April of this year so I guess it could be possible that this summer's session was for the "Up" track and there could've been an earlier session for the 2 Greeny tracks on LWH(RPF) (?) Well, if anyone knows anything further on this then please do post about it here. Thanks!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 09-26-2002 at 12:22 PM..