View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You mean in the set or production design? The movie was one of the major Warner Bros. productions of that year: highly anticipated & heavily advertised. Took three Academy Awards for acting at the Oscars. The low-budget look you sense was possibly the deliberately tawdry set design for the Old Quarter? The crumbling facade -- the Old South vs. the New South -- is one of the big themes in the play.

I've never seen it colorized. I don't think TBS or TNT ever bothered.

I've been watching the British series YES, MINISTER all week. What a hoot this firebomb in the lap of bureaucracy is!
I understood the tawdry set design was purposeful to create a certain look for the old quarter. Whenever I see a movie that consists of only a handful of sets, I call it low-budget because I imagine they didn't spend a lot of money on a several different set designs or for location travel. Street Car basically had the apartment, outside the apartment and the streetcar for scenes. Granted, you didn't need any more to tell the tale, but I still call them low-budget. I have Old Man in the Sea in my queue too. If I remember correctly, that one didn't have a lot of different sets or locations, but a wonderfuly told and acted story nonetheless. It's what I love about those old movies... leaves more to the imagination.

I watched Wait Until Dark and enjoyed it quite a bit. There was more time spent setting up the story about the drug dealers than I remembered, but the scary apartment scene was every bit of frightening as it was last time I saw it years ago. Not to mention, I just love Audrey Hepburn's acting anyway.

Next up is Splendor in the Grass with Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty and/or On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando.