View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok...I'm going to chime in, not so much regarding Time, since I'm pretty much the middle ground between you guys (although, David, in most of the set list ideas, I'm leaning more toward Steve), and I'd only be "Captain Redundant"; but since you brought the comparison of the Heroes... tour into it, I have to toss my two-cents in regarding that tour.

1) They did more than just two songs from Heroes..., "Bermuda Triangle", "Coming Home", "Angel", "Come A Little Bit Closer"...that's four.

2) Why did they pack the set with older material? You have to remember what the band was going through in 1974...they were fighting for their very survival due to the Cliff Davies/Bogus band litigation. They played a plethora of Peter Green material (and "Black Magic Woman" HAD been a constant in their set since 1968). to PROVE to their record company, to the lawyers, to their fans that they were STILL "Fleetwood Mac".

3) Ok, one point regarding the 1994/95 tour...HAD Christine been on stage with them, toured with them, this whole issue of the Time incarnation's "worth" would be moot. My view is that it was the fact that Christine wasn't there, moreso than the absence of Lindsey & Stevie, that created the oddness/weirdness. I think in the 13 previous years, Fleetwood Mac fans HAD to have some inkling in their minds that "one of these days Stevie & Lindsey would leave the band". Lindsey had been grumbling for 6 years until he finally gave notice, Stevie seemed to be going through the motions with Fleetwood Mac since Wild Heart; proving that her solo career was more than a one album creative outlet anomaly. And, her "interest" seemed to wane even further after Lindsey's departure.

ALLLL RIGHT, you know once I got going...Captain Redundant HAS to chime in:

4) I'm right with Steve regarding the crew on the 1994/95 tour playing SOME of "the hits", but the main downer was that they didn't have enough NEW material to divert the focus off the Rumours material. (Like they did in 1975 by mixing their new material with the bands then "standards": "Oh Well", Green Manalishi", "Station Man", "Hypnotized", etc) And while I like Steve's hypothetical set list as a base, I think it could be tweaked a bit:

The Chain/In The Back Of My Mind
Winds Of Change
I Got It In For You
Oh Well
We Just Disagree
Talkin' To My Heart
Gold Dust Woman
Blow By Blow
Hard Feelings
Shakin' The Cage
When The Sun Goes Down
Nothing Without You
Only You Know And I Know
You Make Loving Fun
Go Your Own Way
--
Tear It Up
Dreamin' The Dream

5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Part of the band's reason for touring to introduce new members in 1994 & 1995 was to stir audience interest in a studio album at some point
Sure, "at some point" SHOULDN'T have been 18 months down the road. The album should've been out before the end of 1994 sans Christine if that's how it would be. (and then started a follow-up if Christine had THEN shown interest) But, no, they delayed the album for nearly A YEAR to incorporate Christines' songs, yet kept touring without her (which was probably the reason that they ended up telling her "no" in regards to SYW once she'd most likely shown interest in being involved in the album, yet not touring). It was great that they DID play a decent number of shows during '94, but to drag it on until (I believe it was) September 1995...the album itself was released on October 10, 1995...was just a marketing faux pas on a grand scale. What they needed to do was QUICKLY do a second album with that lineup