View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I watched the Beatles' Get Back documentary film recently. At one point I sat up when John gave a mention to Fleetwood Mac (actually there might have been FM mentions at two different points, I can remember).

Anyway, John was referring to a TV appearance the previous evening. He was talking about how interesting it was the sort of stuff Fleetwood Mac were doing. At the time I missed exactly what programme he was referring to. Now, I could go back and re-watch that section, but I'm not sure which part of the 8 hours it came up in.

Given they'd soon start the Abbey Road sessions, I initially thought perhaps he was referring to Albatross (due to the influence for Sun King). However, he did specifically mention how he really liked 'The lead singer'. The Let it Be sessions were recorded Jan 1969. So maybe the TV appearance was the soon to be released Man of The World (????).

I don't really know the TV appearances of the band around that time. Do people know what song performance John Lennon was referring to and what the programme was?
Considering the fact that "Man Of The World" wasn't released until April 4 and was first plugged on TV with a "TOTP" appearance on May 8, it can be ruled out here.

As far as I could research, the only appearances on UK TV in January '69 or shortly before could be these:
November 16 ("Dee Time", even prior to the single's release date of November 22) and December 19, 1968 ("TOTP"), as well as January 9 and 23, 1969 (both "TOTP"). So I'm pretty sure that Lennon referred to one of the two latter shows. BTW - all 4 broadcasts showed the same collage of pictures and film footage to accompany "Albatross", but no personal appearance of the band.