View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Ledgie

Late to the party, loved reading a lot of these "unpopular Stevie opinions"...I thought I had quite a few (and some of you said variations on them better than I would). Basically, I have one major one.

STEVIE NICKS DIDN'T WRITE "I Don't Want to Know". Maybe it's the other LB/SN co-write (like "Frozen Love") but it only exists in live form from their last shows right before FM and in working versions from the [I]Rumours[I] sessions with LB singing. If other versions exist, let me know and I'll "retract"...

She didn't write it at all. Possible supporting points:
—Her other Rumours era songs were all too long, too (Planets, Dealer)...
—The song that became "The Chain" was obviousy used in that...
—They weren't gonna put "Forest of the Black Roses" on there, that's for sure!
—The other songs BN were working on for their 2nd album got used on the 1975 white album (is it "Lola" that has the guitar part very similar to "The Chain"? That'd be the only thing I can think of from BN that made it as far as 1977)...
—The simplicity of the chords could point to SN, but the simplicity of the lyrics REALLY point to LB ("Holiday Road", "Big Love"...geez, even "In My World"—just three examples of his very sing-songy lyrical sensibility)
—It's the only track not discussed in those Making of Rumours videos (VH1, maybe BBC, too)...
—The "down the line" in both (which is not odd for people who play music together on top of being in a relationship)
—The plain, declarative title could be either of them (her songs got more and more titled like this as the years went on; his were always prosaic (especially on Tusk)

Given that "Silver Springs" was finished and the drama surrounding its removal, I'd say it's a good bet that LB grabbed an old BN number, gave her the writing credit, and that was that.

Anybody know if any of the books about the album mention anything more than the usual story? Some sources say they recorded the entire song, all their parts, before telling her SS was off the record...and..."oh, btw, here's another of yours all ready to sing harmony on..." OKAY. SURE.

Last edited by NurseDJackson; 10-29-2018 at 09:50 PM..