View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just discovered a version of Gypsy I didn't know existed. It's on stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot.com. Here's the link:

Gypsy - Extended Album Version 2
Mirage Final Mixes 05/18/1982
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbppno89qp...d%202.mp3?dl=0

I've always loved the video version so much more than the album version because of the extra vocal ad libs at the end and that gorgeous extended guitar solo. I was so thrilled when The Chain came out and there was an even longer version, but disappointed at the stuff that was missing. Especially at the end, during the guitar solo, in the video mix if you listen really careful you'll here Stevie singing "oooh, see your bright eyes" and it's not in the Chain mix. So the mix above has all the stuff from the video mix and the chain mix all in one, but the beginning sounds like it was taken from a cassette that's been chewed up. Does anyone know if a really good copy of this version exists anywhere? It's my favorite out of all the mixes.

A few words on Gypsy. I always wondered if the unusual drum beat coming off of the bridge was intentional or an accident. It sounds like Mick is going into a fill but then stops himself. But it adds to the charm of the song and if it was a mistake and he went back to fix it there would definitely be something missing. Also, there's a great repeating xylophone melody during the vocal ad libs at the end and if you listen carefully during the very last one (where Stevie sings, "your bright eyes, I can't find you) you'll hear the xylophone go all wonky. You barely notice it but it's there. And did you ever notice that the lyric sheet that came with Mirage had "(she was just a wish, she was just a wish)" at the vocal ad libs at the end, but because the album had an edited version of the song that part is not there at all. I always wondered why there were lyrics on the jacket but not on the record. Of course, the line "and we both pretend (that there was an end, but there was no ending) no great pretender" isn't in the song Angel either. An another thing that I love so much is that if you listen to the extended guitar solo there's a part where John does this wonderful descending series of notes that Mick accentuates with a cymbal crash. It's so incredible. It's a little more pronounced in the video mix than the Chain mix but it's still there. Anyway, these are just things I love about this song.