View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for the lists and information, that's a great overall guide.

It's a shame that Crowded House had a few 'setbacks' early 1990s with their international career. As an Australasian with some US component in my upbringing, I can see how it was a case of different 'cultural sensibilities'. (I find myself trying to be mindful of the same things when I am online.)

I've seen people saying they only know 'Don't Dream It's Over' and INXS were the bigger group. In truth, I think that Crowded House were the better band and deserved the same recognition.

Split Enz And Crowded House became very popular in Australia but Split Enz especially differed from the 'pub rock' type of band that was prevalent in Australia at that time. A lot more depth and intricacy. Layers that yes just make these songs more interesting over time.

In those days if you were from Australasia and trying to get somewhere in the American market, you were advised to go on endless tours of the US. It was something that just broke the spirit of many bands.

I tried putting together a few rough playlists here, I'll probably remember more over time. Everyone has their own favourites and these playlists are nowhere near 'definitive' or totally representative, but a few I enjoy listening to... (Neil has done some different style versions of his own material, and I like the early Split Enz songs in the more recent live versions, so included a few.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaM...Rf-w/playlists

Last edited by Missy; 05-24-2018 at 02:06 AM..