View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The hall of fame is about marketing more than anything. It's a publicity tool. It wasn't coincidental that Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998—the big year of their reunion and No. 1 album on Billboard. The nominations provoke heated arguments about who's worthy, and thus generate free publicity. The voters and the nominating committee used to be slammed for being too old and out of touch, and the fans of Questlove and Tom Morello and Oasis went on the rampage. So the nominees the past few years are more ecumenical. But being inducted is still as much as ever a function of marketing—which is intended to make a stir over an artist in public. With her magazine covers and TV appearances and never-ending touring and cultish fans, Stevie should be inducted sooner or later.
I always thought it was the craziest coincidence that FM happened get inducted the same year they had their epic reunion so your post makes a lot of sense.

I've never been shy about the fact that I honestly don't think solo Stevie really deserves to be inducted, and I've ALWAYS felt that way. Even when I was most obsessed with her and would argue with anyone who criticized her, I just don't think her solo music is really worthy of an induction. I think the reason people think she deserves a solo spot is just because of her whole image-- her entity as 'Stevie Nicks' the witchy pop rock girl.