View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the Innerview for "Hard Promises," Tom told Jim Ladd that he had a lot of respect for Stevie because of the story around "Insider." That was the song he originally intended to let Stevie use on her album, but after the two of them finished a beautiful vocal (which reminded Tom of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris on "Grievous Angel"), Tom said that Stevie released the song back to Tom because she could tell that he really wanted to keep it. Then she told him to give her another song, which turned out to be HIS choice to give her "Stop Dragging My Heart Around." She was thrilled because it was a lot grittier, and she didn't really want a love ballad from him. So the song becomes a hit, and he may have been a little pissy for a time, but I don't think it bothered him all that much. In fact, on the radio with Jim Ladd, he sort of laughed about the fact that it was a hit.

I think their friendship survived that little nothing of an incident. She camp-followed him on part of his tour in 1981, and he gave her another song for her next album. His next album, "Long After Dark," had two big singles: "You Got Lucky" and "Change of Heart," still Heartbreakers classics today.

What's a little freakier is hearing from Jimmy that he didn't like Stan Lynch. Lynch was the best Heartbreakers drummer in history by a huge margin. His style was as integral to the Heartbreakers sound as Mick Fleetwood's style is to his band. One of the saddest days musically for the Heartbreakers was the day they **** canned Stan Lynch. One of the worst moves ever.

moviekinks.blogspot.com