View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, this might seem naive or glass half full/optimistic but here's my take on the whole "money grab" narrative:

Nobody in this band needs money and hasn't for a long time. They have a lot of people who work for them, especially when they are touring -- and those people depend on salaries to support themselves and their families.

When you find something you love to do and that's how you make a living for decades, it becomes your identity. When you're not doing it, things can feel pretty empty and depressing depending on the kind of person you are. For some artists, it's all they know and even if they desire to do something else, often they can't.

Stevie Nicks has called herself a "road dog". She loves touring much in the same way that Bob Dylan does. It's what gets them through.
Sure, it's nice to know that you're raking in the dough, but at this point - whatever profit Fleetwood Mac is making from touring probably doesn't make much difference to them on top of what they already have in their bank accounts.
They wouldn't be doing it if they didn't love to sing and play together.
I'm sure this wasn't the case in 1997, but it certainly is now.

The money whore narrative provides a lot of good fodder for social media and fan blogs, but I'm not convinced it's what motivates this particular band.