View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
Great post. I wonder why Christine would say that. I guess she's not as liberal as I thought she was.
Well, it was a long time ago, when she was still with Chicken Shack. I'm sure she wouldn't say something like that today. Obviously, people said a lot of outrageous things about others in the sixties. Prejudice was common and she might not have been prejudiced. Maybe that was just her rude way of telling them that she didn't think their music was substantial enough. But why would you even have to share that with someone? I just thought it was shocking that she'd say something to their faces that would hurt them, not knowing them and all. I mean we all have thoughts, but most of us keep them to ourselves, unless we're saying it to friends that we regularly insult for fun.

Of course, it depends on whether you believe Status Quo, the band in question, or not. They said this in a 2005 interview:

Quote:
But the band simply did not fit in with the developing music of the day: they were too pop, their image was all wrong and their heavier contemporaries had begun to notice.

"We'd been playing with Rory Gallagher and Chicken Shack," says Rossi. "Rick and I thought Christine Perfect [of Chicken Shack and later, as Christine McVie, of Fleetwood Mac] was great. But she met us once and called us a couple of ****in' ponces and we thought, `No, not Christine Perfect...' We were gutted for ages."
Anyway, Stevie definitely isn't the kind of person who would say anything like that, not even in the sixties, I don't think. Her personality is totally different.

Michele