View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
For me. at least, the "in it for the money" thing is a result of her reluctance to record. She let 4 years pass between The Dance and TISL, content to cruise on a retrospective - Enchanted. She let 9 years elapse between TISL and IYD, content to cruise on two retrospectives - Soundstage and Crystal Visions.
'Enchanted' was a contractual obligation -- the record company was going to put it out whether Stevie was involved or not, so she choose to be involved to make the package something special. As such, we got tons of rare photos, lyrics to every song, and an entire disc of tracks that never appeared on one of Stevie's albums.

Once the 'Enchanted' promotion and tour was wrapped up, she went right into working on 'TISL.' As Sheryl Crow was Stevie's choice for producer, she had to work around Sheryl's own recording & touring schedule. When they saw that it was taking too long to finish Stevie's album, John Shanks was brought in to help finish it (as was David Kahne and Pierre Marchand).

And don't forget that, between 'TISL' and 'IYD,' we got 10 new Stevie songs with Fleetwood Mac.

Meanwhile, both 'Soundstage' and 'Crystal Visions' might not have included any newly-penned songs, but she did put a personal effort into making both packages stand out.

Mind you -- I'm not saying that there wasn't way too long of a gap between new songs for my taste. I just think we should remember that Stevie wasn't at home with her feet up on the couch the entire time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
During all this time, she has toured, making money off of the concerts. If, as many here seem to agree, there is no money in recording, then that is probably why she is so unproductive, and prefers to tour. Therefore she is in the business for the money. All this is just fine as a business model. But touring and singing the same songs over and over for decades is not making art. Art implies creation, and that implies new music.
She's in her mid-60s (the same age as my father, who's retired) -- I think she's earned the right to rest on her laurels a little, without having her artistic integrity called into question. Like I said in my previous post, I would have thought all those years of writing like mad and recording tons of material -- not to mention her renewed creativity -- should be enough proof to fans that she's not "all about the money."

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 03-09-2013 at 12:30 PM..