View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasjz View Post
The timeline is very confusing. Stevie is adamant that she heard Little Red Corvette on her wedding day on January 29, 1983, which makes sense given that "1999", the album that includes the song, was released just three months before, and the single itself would be released just a week after Stevie's wedding.
BUT, according to the Prince fan community, he worked on Stand Back in the week of January 7-14, 1983 at Studio 55, while he was working on extended versions of Little Red Corvette and Drive Me Wild at neighbouring Sunset Sound studio. To add to the confusion, Stevie claimed in Storytellers that she was at Sunset Sound herself when she called Prince. I don't have the WH liner notes with me right now, but if I remember correctly Sunset Sound was not mentioned as one of the studios where Stevie recorded.

My theory is that they indeed met during the Mirage Tour, and that Stevie simply didn't remember that this encounter had happened before she called him to work on Stand Back.
This was peak coked-out Stevie, so we can't really count on her for such specifics
Thanks, that information is useful.
Yes, Stevie's memory isn't reliable at all, that's why I prefer to base myself on dates of surrounding events. Now that we have the fact-proofing from the Prince fan community we can say with a reasonable certainty that either:
1) Like you said, they met on the Mirage Tour the 23 September in Minneapolis but she didn't remember and then she called him for Stand Back in 1983.
2) They actually met the first time in January for the recording of Stand Back and then Stevie mistook the Fleetwood Mac Mirage Tour for her Wild Heart Tour. In that case they met the second time the 15th of July 1983 in Minneapolis.
From 1984 onwards I stick with my first version.