View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 09:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
1982 - Prince's record 1999, that contains Little red corvette, gets out. Stevie hears it and gets the inspiration for Stand Back. Stevie actually works on the song and calls Prince in 1982, not 1983 like she remembers, and he goes away. At the time it wasn't unusual for musicians to do uncredited apparitions in other artist's work, so he never asked to be credited. But he called her towards the end of the Mirage Tour to return the favor and she feels obliged to comply, probably also flatterd, so she jumps in his little red corvette and goes to his house. They record a bit of what will become All Over You, Stevie acts coked out (congruent with her Mirage persona) and then she goes away like he did for Stand Back and they both resume their lives.
The timeline is very confusing. Stevie is adamant that she heard Little Red Corvette on her wedding day on January 29, 1983, which makes sense given that "1999", the album that includes the song, was released just three months before, and the single itself would be released just a week after Stevie's wedding.
BUT, according to the Prince fan community, he worked on Stand Back in the week of January 7-14, 1983 at Studio 55, while he was working on extended versions of Little Red Corvette and Drive Me Wild at neighbouring Sunset Sound studio. To add to the confusion, Stevie claimed in Storytellers that she was at Sunset Sound herself when she called Prince. I don't have the WH liner notes with me right now, but if I remember correctly Sunset Sound was not mentioned as one of the studios where Stevie recorded.

My theory is that they indeed met during the Mirage Tour, and that Stevie simply didn't remember that this encounter had happened before she called him to work on Stand Back.
This was peak coked-out Stevie, so we can't really count on her for such specifics