Thread: Greeny Pvk era
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Dino!

Yes, I also had your oppinion about "In The Skies" and "White Sky", but I tend to like "Little Dreamer" and "Whatcha Gonna Do" more and more - especially WGD.

"In The Skies" and "White Sky" definitely have the tightest bands, and Peter's singing is much more confident on these albums. I also love his singing on "Big Boy Now" from Kolors. However, I like his singing on LD and WGD more and more these days, quite soulful.

"White Sky" was my favourite for a long time, even above "In The Skies". But in spite of a tight band, good singing and rocking songs, I don't think Peter is playing as good on this album (with the exception of "Just Another Guy" and a few more). Apart from "In The Skies", I now prefer the bluesy playing on "Whatcha Gonna Do". (I think "Carry My Love" from "Legend" is from the WGD sessions.)

I do think that Peter at the time wanted to do more of the funky music of "In The Skies" and the rocking of "White Sky", instead of the bluesy stuff of the other two albums. The bootlegs from that period consist of old FM classics, and new rather funky stuff instead of blues.

And I also think it is impressive, as you say Dino, that Peter managed to record all those albums in his mental state.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that (independent of speculation about exploitation), brother Michael Green did write a whole BUNCH of superb songs!! And I look upon him as a much more competent songwriter than any of the Splinter Group writers.

Daniel