View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post

I think it's a toss up between Lindsey and Stevie whose voice has deteriorated the most over the years. Christine sounds practically the same...
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. And yet, a few recent reviews keep saying it's Chrstine's voice that has deteriorated and that Stevie sounds better than ever, which is just plain horse manure. She sounds okay, but her voice is pretty much stripped of its former glory. And, again, Lindsey's voice is never even considered.

I have a few ideas on why some critics are going in this direction:

1. Many of these concert reviews are being written by people who came to the band no earlier than The Dance and probably continued to follow Mac as "Stevie's band" throughout the 2000s.

2. Given Christine's long absence, people tend to forget that she was NEVER a center-stage persona and was always a laid-back, earthy performer whose moments of calm were contrasted with the moments of higher drama. Ironically, I think she is exhibiting a lot more personality this tour (not including her lack of actual piano playing) than she did on The Dance.

3. Sexism--the girls' voices are a central issue whereas the boy is heralded as a genius guitar player and musical architect.

4. People expect more vocally from Stevie and Christine because their voices are more distinctive on the original albums.