View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

January 15. 2014 8:52PM

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/...504&source=RSS

Dave Mason chats about touring highlights, along with a few bumps in the road during several-decade journey

By EMILY REILY Special to the Union Leader

The illustrated poster for songwriter and guitarist Dave Mason's new tour, Traffic Jam, is a step back in time. Psychedelic, almost neon shades of deep blue cover the background and contrasts with a design of fiery orange, along with magenta text. In the center, Mason poses with his 12-string.

"It's pretty cool, isn't it?" Mason, 67, said of the image.

Those who line up to see his show Sunday at the Flying Monkey Movie House and Performance Center in Plymouth are sure to get a trip down memory lane and a chance to relive the glory days of rock.

Who's Who of Rock

Mason's success spans decades. His 12-string acoustic-guitar intro on Jimi Hendrix' "All Along the Watchtower" is an enduring riff in music history. He's worked with a who's-who of rock 'n' roll, collaborating with Fleetwood Mac, as well as with the Rolling Stones' on "Beggars Banquet." He also played on guitarist George Harrison's solo debut, and is credited for his contributions to Derek and the Dominoes, Eric Clapton's early vehicle.

Mason's work with others always has been largely organic, never stemming from a "have my people get with your people" mentality. He was already friends with Hendrix before he played on "All Along the Watchtower" and sang on Hendrix' "Crosstown Traffic" for "Electric Ladyland." He met up with Paul McCartney and Wings in New Orleans during a tour, and that's how he ended up playing on "Listen to What the Man Said."

"... I was there and it was like, 'Hey Dave, why don't you play on this?' Mason said of that serendipitous meeting.

"It was great times. I've been fortunate and played with a lot of great artists and had a ... number of really good artists perform on my records," he said. "And there's always something to be taken from both of them — all of them."

Those accomplishments notwithstanding, Mason, originally of Worcester, England, is a success in his own right. He is most well-known for his role co-founding the influential prog-rock psychedelic band Traffic, which formed in 1967. The group first gained success with its debut "Paper Sun" and the 1970 album "John Barleycorn Must Die." "Feelin' Alright" (the song made universally famous by singer Joe Cocker in 1969) is credited to Mason and was the first single off Traffic's second album.

But all good things must pass. The interpersonal relationships between Mason and band members Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood bottomed out, and Mason bowed out after the second album.

"Well, I basically left Traffic because musically what I was doing, for some reason, the other three didn't want, so there was really no place for me there," he said. "My contribution was no longer a fit for what they thought Traffic should be."

Band Conflicts

His departure from the band has left some sting. Mason said he had begun working on a new CD with Capaldi just before he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Wood died in 1983 and Capaldi in 2005. His relationship with the remaining former Traffic member is nonexistent.

"Steve Winwood and I do not have any communication," said Mason.

Mason has regrets, but simply chalks it up to missed opportunities and an ill fit. He knows there is still a strong fan base for Traffic and had hoped for a reunion of sorts a few years back.

"It's a shame we didn't do something together after the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction (in 2004). I know that there's a large number of people out there that would have loved to have seen that."

After he left Traffic, Mason struck out on his own. The meat of his solo work was released in the 1970s; his first was "Alone Together" — its biggest single was "Only You Know and I Know." Mason went on to release 18 albums, including live albums.

New Projects

Mason also talked with NH Weekend about his upcoming EP, "Futures Past." (Singer Graham Nash created the CD's cover.) Like his tour, the project will give a nod to the past while pointing toward a new era in Mason's career. The nine-song album contains reworkings of his former songs, as well as music from Traffic, a Robert Johnson tune and a new song called "That's Freedom."

Looking at his solo career, group collaborations or work with Traffic, Mason can't pinpoint any part as being his favorite.

"I can't really pick any one out. They're all great. Working with all those people, forming Traffic, my solo career — they've all been great, all of them. We're still having them," he said, laughing.

"It's had its ups and downs, as in most people's lives," he said of his success. "But you know, I'm lucky, I'm fortunate. I get to do what I've wanted to do since I was 15 years old, and I'm 67, and I'm still doing it. A great gig."

His world tour, Dave Mason's Traffic Jam, will hit New York, New Jersey, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, and New Hampshire, with European dates to be announced. Tickets to Sunday's Plymouth show are $39 and $45 at 536-2551 or www.flyingmonkeynh.com.