View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I recall being very happy when Tango in the Night was released. The album cover was so tropical and mysterious, and the music production was fitting and contemporary for its time. It put Fleetwood Mac back on the map in a big way.

'Welcome to the Room Sara' was (and still is) my favorite Stevie song from the album. In hindsight -- now knowing it was written about her Betty Ford stint -- the title and lyrics have more clarity to them.

'Big Love' was such a departure soundwise, but I grew to love it. I agree that 'You and I, part 1' would have been a better choice than version 2. Christine's songs, as usual, were all solid.

I really liked 'Seven Wonders' at the time. But since then, it has bothered me because it could have been much better. The verses are very clunky and could have been written better, and her delivery is a tad shrill. "When I See You Again' screams "B-side!" The inclusion of 'Joan of Arc,' if further developed, would have been a vast improvement. (Although, the repetitive "Turn it to wall" vocal lines might have ventured too close to the "What's the matter baby, baby, baby" vocal lines of 'When I See You Again.")

I wish they would re-release this (along with Mirage) with the same treatment of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk, with all the b-sides:

You and I, part 1
Book of Miracles (what would have been 'Juliet'!)
Down Endless Street
Others? Perhaps the extended remixes, though I don't think the band members had any involvement with those.

P.S. I wish Lindsey would perform 'Tango in the Night,' and 'Big Love' with a full band (the acoustic version, although amazing, is getting really tired).

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-31-2009 at 12:08 AM..