View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
Any good handwired boutique tube amp would do the trick, all the fender and marshall off the shelf ones suck. They are made with printed circuit boards mass manufactured in china and dont sound like the original ones. They are dead noisey too and cost as much as a non big named handwired amp. If your looking for that kind of set up you either need an original from back in the day or one of the new "boutique amps".
You know this is one of the things i donīt understand about the so called modern guitar greats steve vai etc when can you ever hear them just play a guitar plugged straight into an amp with no effects...never been impressed by bells and whistles of the modern metalers...well i think iīve started ranting so i will end it there.
Agreed though great greeny tone as ever.

Speaking of "boutique amps", I saw one reviewed on Guitar World on-demand about a year ago. It was a Victoria Victorilux, and it had the sweetest tone I'd ever heard. It had two Jensen speakers, and I swear the amp was putting out a 3-D stereo effect.
Yours for around $2795.

My friend with the old Squire has a 2005 Fender Blues Jr. amp, which sounds "ok" to my ears. I also know there's a tube, and circuit board upgrade for this amp that really makes it cook.

As for the modern metalers the scooped out mid-range tone really grates on me. Worse, they actually make amps specifically for this sound.