View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree with everything you said except one thing
I agree that ITM is more genuine Christine McVie than her 1984 solo album. She was under no pressure and it was just her pleasure recording when she wanted to at her house with her nephew. What an incredible experience that was!!
I would not call her 1984 solo outing "calculating." The reason part of the album ventures off the traditional Christine McVie was because she did not want to do the album alone. Warner Brothers wanted a solo album from her and probably gave her a nice advance to do so. She met Todd Sharpe during Mick's solo outings and he also played in Bob Welch's band. She told Todd she wanted him to do her solo album with. So we get songs written by Todd that Christine sings like I'm The One which is not a typical Christine song. At the time, I loved the idea and sound. She stepped out of her comfort zone. 30 +years later I look back and wish the entire album was just her. I love the idea she did not do a pure pop album. There is no cheezy 80's sound on it which is refreshing to hear. There are amazing songs on her 1984 solo album: The Smile I Live For, The Challenge, Ask Anybody, etc. Those are so rich in Christine goodness. Christine is not a solo star. She needs and loves to work with someone else or an entire band. She hit the nail on the head when in 1984 she said her solo album was not the most adventurous album in the world but it was pleasing to her own ears. That was so TRUE. Her 1984 album had mixed reviews. One article stated her album lacked musical muscle even though Eric Clapton, Lindsey Buckingham, and Mick Fleetwood play on it. They stated the songs were not wimpy but failed to energize the listener.
Yes, I’m well aware of all of this, having tracked Christine’s career and the media attention she’s received throughout the years. I stick by my assessment, though: the 1984 album may have begun as a collaboration between two close friends wth musical compatibility, but the label wanted a hit, BIG hit. Many of the songs on the record feel like they are attempts to exploit 80s pop trends instead of letting the album emerge more organically. You may not feel so, but I definitely consider much of the album (minus the three songs I mentioned earlier) a calculation that never fully paid off.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-06-2018 at 10:28 AM..