View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the peter green guitar school

this has been suggested recently by becca, so i'll give it a go here.

there's hardly anything really new under the sun, and guitarists are no exception to this rule. almost every guitarist I know more or less modelled his style on others'. and like peter green cited to have been impressed by (quite different) players like b.b. king and hank marvin (and many more, of course), he himself and (mainly) his playing during his time with fleetwood mac has served as a huge influence to lots of other axemen (including yours truly). some of them are quite prominent, whereas other names are hardly ever heard and known. here's to shed some light on the latter ones.

I already mentioned a couple of them rather off-topically in earlier threads. therefor that might have gone down more unnoticed than not to a lot of you out there, so I'll start off with them.

(TERENCE) "SNOWY" WHITE's influence by green certainly cannot be overheard - in his style and also his sound (especially his "greeny out-of-phase" tone!). as with many other listeners I first became aware of him through his prominent participation on the "in the skies" album, before he moved on to the likes of thin lizzy, roger waters and pursueing an admittedly more low-key solo career ("bird of paradise"). I'd like to lure you to give a listen to the aforementioned "bird" (the full-length version!) and tracks from the two more obscure "blues agency" albums (where he sadly doesn't sing himself).

and to round it off for the moment being - my other suggestion to check out is a german guitarist by the name of GREGOR HILDEN. apart from green you can also trace other influences like larry carlton, jeff beck and wes montgomery (for example) in his style. you best start to investigate in the following cds: "compared to what…?" ('96), "west coast blues" ('98), "golden voice blues" ('06) and "blue in red" ('08). there's also an instrumental best-of with the title "sweet rain".

I'm really keen on getting to know other guitarists in that sort of musical vein of a peter green to add to my record collection - so ANY input on this matter from you is VERY MUCH appreciated. so how about it . . . ?!

martin