View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I'm guessing it was in large part due to the rise of indie labels during those years, and their pressing more singles (which could be done more cheaply) than full albums - so in many cases by the time an LP was released, most fans would already have the singles.
Indie labels, yes I could see that being a big part of the equation. As for the single resurgence, what medium was being utilized? Wouldn't much of that time frame be post-45's, but pre-digital? There was no Internet around until the early 90's, for all intents and purposes. Was there some kind of mini-CDs or discs that blew right by me?

Hjort writes that the TPO sessions were at De Lane Lea, while Peter Lewry's book "Fleetwood Mac - The Complete Recording Sessions 1967-1997" says "studio unknown". Lewry's book shows the KH sessions taking place at Kiln House (this is not covered in Hjort's book). I seem to recall reading someplace that the band used the Rolling Stones' mobile studio for the KH sessions - does that sound right to anyone or did I just imagine it?

Ah De Lane Lea, eh? I suspected as much but couldn't be sure. I believe they returned to the Music Centre for the Bare Trees production a bit later. As for Kiln House, I suppose this could be true, as I have it loosely in my head that they did that recording while dug in at the KH rental estate. We also know they recorded Penguin and Mystery To Me with the RSMS a few years later. But still, I have my nagging doubts. And if RSMS didn't actually factor in that early on, I can't believe they were self-equipped either, at least not per that time and place. Then again, how early did Pete Townsend set himself up?

How did that old Focus tune go? Questions, Answers? Answers, Questions!

I missed this bit in Hjort's book before, regarding Christine McVie's joining the band....he writes that she joined the group on every date of their US tour that began in New Orleans, but that she was not officially a member of the band at first. He goes on to write that within a week of the New Orleans show, the UK music press was given the news that she was now a member of Fleetwood Mac and that she now wanted to be known as Christine McVie rather than Perfect.

Interesting, and but another twist on the CM enlistment theme. I think it could best be guesstimated as August 1, if for no other reason than it works out to be the most agreeable compromise via all the takes.