View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
OK guys, gotta get something off my chest, and if the woman in question is reading this... good.

Last night at the concert me, easygoing Nancy, almost got in an altercation during the show! Here's the story:

This woman next to me had a REALLY long banner. It was so long that it took about 12 people to hold it up, whom she was able to enlist by bugging them. She tried to enlist me, but then I got a gander at what it said: "LINDSEY I HAVE WANTED TO F--K YOU FOR TEN YEARS" in super-big letters. Of course she did not have dashes instead of letters. It was right in the middle at the front, and stretched from in front of Stevie to in front of Lindsey. It was held up for several minutes during an early Lindsey song, and actually hit me in the face, so I kind of shoved it away from me. Lindsey saw it and nodded at me, like he thought it was my sign, to my mortification. I quickly shook my head and pointed at that other woman. Stevie was looking pissed off.

Whatever. I shrugged it off and waited for her to put it down now that she'd been acknowledged. But she didn't. I don't know what she was waiting for - him to come over and proposition her from the stage? Finally, it drifted down. But that was not to be the end of it. She held it up a second time a couple songs later. Again, it hit me in the face. Again, I tolerated it. By this point, the MANY people it was blocking were getting annoyed too.

Then, Stevie sang the moving song about New Orleans, and went into Landslide. The woman started shoving the banner up AGAIN. It was obvious Stevie hated the vulgar sign and here she was, pouring her heart out during a highly emotional song, and she was gonna have to look at THAT again? I'd had enough. "Not this time," I said, and grabbed the corner, pulling it down. The woman tried to move away but I was on a mission. I wouldn't let go.

She became enraged, calling me all sorts of vulgarities for the remainder of the song. I simply turned away and refused to react, but never let go of that sign until I saw it fall to the floor. After the song, she continued hollering. I turned to her and said as politely as I could, "Ma'am, please be quiet, I am trying to enjoy the show." Then I turned away again and determinedly did not look at her or acknowledge her. You can imagine this did not silence her, but it was fairly easy to block her out as there was someone in between her and me and therefore I didn't have to see her. Also, with the crowd noise, her epithets were muffled to the degree where I couldn't quite make them out anyway. At any rate, the show was so wonderful that I could wrap myself in it and not think too hard about her, even though she continued ranting for several more songs.

I don't know if Lindsey saw what happened, but after that was when he came over for I'm So Afraid and gave us some special attention, much to that woman's anger. Hmmm.

As I said, she continued for several songs afterwards and then approached me again, at which point I said "We'll talk after the show." At that, she finally left me alone with the promise that "We definitely will."

Of course, when the lights came up at the end, she left without another word. That was fine with me. If she had tried anything I would have just called over security. I had no intention of engaging in a shouting match with her or, even more ridiculously, a cat fight.

I can only hope she only acts that way when she's liquored up because otherwise.... woah. One would hope a woman who was obviously over 50 would have a little more maturity.

I don't regret doing it and I'd do it again. Signs are fine if you're considerate of others... but if you're going to be obnoxious and rude, don't expect everyone to silently put up with you.
omg.. that is so obnoxious! We had some rude ones in front of us as well. Now, I have no problem standing during a concert, but our whole section was sitting down, so I sat down too, to be considerate of the people in back of us, and across the aisle. I'd get up once and awhile to try and see the band, as did my son, but those rude people in the row ahead of us, stood for the greater part of the concert, so needless to say, we didn't see the band much, except by way of the video screens, which is more like watching a DVD at home. I had paid the full ticketmaster price, but not to just look at video screens. Now, I understand that they were just having fun, we all were... but they were getting sloshed and obnoxious as well. It was my son's first concert and he could hardly see. I felt so bad for him. We still had a great time, 'cause they sounded so awesome. I can imagine how annoying it must have been for you though. What goes through someone's mind that would make them do something so vulgar like that? I don't think his wife would have appreciated that, that's for sure. That lady didn't have to get so ugly with you either.