Thread: Do Stop
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[I do not believe this comment is accurate]

From idolator.com

http://idolator.com/5121118/no-3-a-v...by-vhs-or-beta

The long queue of disgruntled musicians might lead one to believe that rock stars have always sided with the blue states and given them free rein over their back catalog. But that is not the case, as Joan Didion once noted in her essay about the 1992 DNC “Eyes on the Prize” (collected in Political Fictions): “Tipper and Al Gore dance sedately on the podium. The preferred sound was not ‘Happy Days Are Here Again’ [ed. note: FDR’s 1932 campaign song] but Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie’s request before the New Hampshire primary that the Clinton campaign stop using her song ‘Don’t Stop’ notwithstanding.”

Ultimately McVie relented, and the band even reunited for the Clinton inaugural ball.
But while “Don’t Stop” ultimately soundtrack the Democratic victory then, as befits our playlist age, there is no one single song to offer as summation (try 73 hours and counting). As LA Times pop critic Ann Powers (and yours truly) finally confessed: "I can't even remember what Obama's official campaign song was." A Google search doesn't help with this either. Perhaps that's what Obama's detractors meant when they claimed that we don't know the man?
I'd never heard that...