View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Most polls aren't, even in the "real" world.

They are less representative though when a section of the community (online or otherwise) boycotts them.
I know there used to be regular ratings of the entire FM catalog on another site and they were a lot of fun. I don't know how many people participated altogether, but I'd say 40 or 50. Why won the #1 song spot one year. Thoughts on a Grey Day always came in last. And The Second Time always finished around the bottom.

Now, I know sometimes you'd feel bad if someone gave a record a zero which would skewer it's ratings across the board. That was considered unethical. Chili I think you may have done that, once or twice.

Overall, those polls were a lot of fun. These polls aren't the same and can't have the same impact, because they're taking place in different forums and are not really a communal effort, but I understand what MacShadowsball is trying to do.

Actually, I see many polls referenced on the evening news every week that are a lot less scientific and objective than this one. Yet, they're reported as meaningful analsysis. Luckily, no one is trying to use these FM votes for that purpose.

Michele