View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
"Time" has a fetchingly humble quality, does it not? It seems so free of self-importance & haughtiness. It features good songs by Billy Burnett, Bekka Bramlett & Christine McVie, & musicianship that is skillful yet unobtrusive. I think it contains Mick Fleetwood's best drumming during the entire period of 1984 to 2006. If you listen closely to the drum tracks & pay attention to them, you will hear the beauties that I do. His licks have spectral lines & sensitive retenue. The Dave Mason material is poor, but at least it's well engineered. Throughout the album, in fact, the engineering & production bespeak sureness, delineation, proper balance, & even freshness -- coming as it does amid a deluge of grunge magpies. Mr. Richard Dashut is to be commended heartily. "Time" is the album "Behind the Mask" should have been (especially given the fact that Fleetwood Mac's audience was somewhat larger in 1990).

I'm going to listen to "Time" right now!
I don't agree that Dave Mason's material is "poor"...those two songs sound just like all his other material...either of those songs could fit seamlessly on either It's Like You Never Left or Split Coconut (my two favorites of Dave's solo material after Alone Together) It just is odd because "that" sound was then part of Fleetwood Mac.

The only thing about Time I DON'T care for is its running order. A quick reprogramming of that and it flows like an unbouldered river.

I definitely agree about the production & engineering of Time being better than Behind The Mask. It is just too bad that they didn't have Dashut at the helm for BTM. It would've been crisper & more defined.