Thread: Portland
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This was the fourth show of Lindsey's I've been to...all in Portland, OR. The first was his Out Of Cradle show -- which really can't compare to any others for the huge army of guitarists in that band. Then I saw his Under the Skin show twice; he surprisingly came back to Portland later in the tour!

This latest show (third show of the tour) seemed to achieve a great balance. More light-hearted and upbeat, and less moody than his last tour. His voice struck me this time as being extremely strong, clear and controlled...perhaps for the fact it hasn't had time to get road-weary.

And big kudos to him for being brave enough to open his show with not one but two new songs...and close with a new one ...even before the album has released. When was the last time anyone in Fleetwood Mac did that? Next to never! He even modified a few well-known/performed songs -- either in length, arrangement or style -- enough to make them fresh. I was completely impressed.

And thankfully he keep his sermons to a minimum. Only once did he briefly baffle the audience with some sort of point he was trying to make!

I left the show with a newfound appreciation for Lindsey. Lately he's acting like Fleetwood Mac was in the 1970's/1980's. Back then you could at least expect a Mac or solo album every year. If you compare their collective output then compared to now, it's pretty grave. Yet, unexpectedly it's Lindsey--not Stevie! -- who has become the most prodigious. Three albums in three years!!! Does anyone realize how unprecedented that is???!!!!

2008 Gift Of Screws 2007 Live at Bass Hall 2007 Under The Skin....wow!

The preconceived notion that Lindsey just widdles away for years in his studio and nothing ever comes to light is now shattered. Obviously, at this time in his life he has rekindled a passion to make and release music that adds to his solo legacy. And I guess, without having to deal with the twisted democracy of Fleetwood Mac, he must feel a great deal of liberation...which results in us getting 3 Lindsey albums in 3 years!

It's very surprising that he still entertains any ideas of working in the context of Fleetwood Mac. That just shows what a loyal, stand-up guy he can be. Stevie has always overshadowed my appreciation for Lindsey. But right now it's all about Lindsey. It's LindseyTime...or maybe LindseyLand, or...

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-12-2008 at 02:26 PM..